Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #22

Aha! Finally, a "Thing" I already know how to do! I have both a MySpace and a Facebook account, although I must admit I like Facebook much more. MySpace seems much more youth-oriented, whereas Facebook appeals more to the more mature audience. Here is my Facebook page, and here is my MySpace page. I'm not sure if those links will work without logging in, though. Honestly, I check my Facebook everyday. I've reconnected with so many friends from high school and college. I hesitated for quite a while about getting an account on either MySpace or Facebook, but I'm so glad now that I did. I even found a student I had my first year of teaching -- he's in med school! I believe all educators should take a look at these sites, whether they set up their own account or not, just so they'll be aware of what students have access to. Also, so they'll understand what kids are talking about. When I set up my MySpace account, I had a former student help me -- the classic "teachers learn from their students" scenario! Seriously, though, they know WAY more than we do when it comes to social networking, and it's like the assignment page for this "Thing" said: ". . . if we don't model productive, responsible uses of social networking tools for our students, how will they learn to be productive, responsible users of these tools?"

No comments:

Post a Comment