Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing #16

So, after my "Thing #15" debacle, I was quite relieved and excited about Library Thing. It was so doable, and I love to read, so this was a breath of fresh air.

I don't know how I would use it professionally, as I don't teach in the classroom anymore. If I did, however, what a great tool it would be for my students, especially the ones that can never find anything they want to read. The suggestions given on the search page would help them narrow their choices to a book more suited to what they're "into", and thus possibly make them more interested in reading.

On a personal level, though, I find it fantastic. If you connect with someone out there who's into the same type of books you are and/or has the same taste in authors, you could really benefit from their suggestions. It's like Pandora for books! My best friend and I both love books and reading, and I'm going to introduce her to this site.

I would like to say that I wasn't too fond of the Suggester. I just found that it gave me a list of books I already knew about. What I did like, however, was using the search page, picking a book, then scrolling down to see the suggestions for similar books. I clicked on the books, then read a few of the reader reviews, and now I have a few more books on my "To Read" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment