Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing #14

First off, I would just like to say that I FINALLY understand what a "wiki" is. It's a word that's been thrown around a bit in the whole "23 Things" journey. I've always skipped over it because I never really knew what it was. Now, however, I'm coming to understand what a fabulous tool it could be for educators and learners alike. I checked out a few of the recommended sites, and one extra, and (to entertain the concrete-sequential side of me) here's what I found and what I thought of each one, in list format: (I would like to preface this with the statement that I am IN NO WAY qualified to judge a wiki -- these are just the thoughts that came into my head as I explored . . .)

Code Blue
The home page listed several websites having to do with body systems, health issues, etc. My initial thought was, "This is a good reference point for the students." However, as I clicked on each one, I was a bit overwhelmed by all that was there. I couldn't really figure out where exactly the "project"was, although I did find a few things in the navigation bar to the left. On the upside, I did find a website, VirtualBody , for my scientifically-inclined 9 year old. Next!

Discovery Utopia
This is a bit more what I expected on a "project" wiki". The homepage had an explanation of the project and the different sections were easy to in the navigation bar to the left. What I absolutely LOVED (and will use if I ever do one of these) were the "helper" links at the bottom. If a student had a question about editing, adding, deleting, etc. the wiki, they could contact any of the student helpers linked at the bottom. How freeing that would be as a teacher, how empowering for the students, and what a great way to make it a completely learner-based experience.

Kindergarten Counting Book
I appreciated the simplicity of this, as I was starting to get a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of links and information on some of the other wikis I visited. It made me realize that wikis don't have to be huge undertakings. They can be incredibly simple while at the same time being incredibly informative and useful.

Primary Math
Here is another website that gave me a tool I would use: As you click on one of the categories, all of the pictures popped up, but also on each page they had instructions for editing and how to add pictures. If this is something you want students to contribute to on a regular basis, what a great way to enable them! It makes adding to the wiki that much faster and easier.

The last one I'd like to mention was that was not on the list provided, but that I found while reading Wiki Wiki Teaching by The Cool Cat Teacher Vicki Davis. After doing a few days of lessons on wikis, her last class period created a Study Hall . It's incredible. On the home page students list several classes and what major exams or projects are due that week. On the left students can go to a variety of subjects and see what notes other students have written. Honestly, if I were to do a wiki with a class, this would probably be the first one. And that techno-savvy kid that gets done with all his work first and doesn't have anything to do would be put in charge of updating it! That's a win-win if you ask me. In all seriousness, though, I wish wikis would have been around in my undergrad days. What a benefit they would have been. Not only would I have found some information I might have missed while frantically taking notes, I would have solidified and retained more as I typed up my own notes. I'm going to suggest this to my college-age babysitters.

Final verdict: I like wikis, and will find some way to use them.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the Code Blue wiki. I played for a while on Virtual Body; this is a great resource for science/health.

    ReplyDelete