Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #17

In my search of podcasts, I previewed 60 Second Science and History Podcast. I particularly liked 60 Second Science because each podcast was exactly that: 60 seconds. Given the short amount of time a teacher has in any given class period, these short clips are perfect for beginning or summarizing a lesson. Because the speaker speaks a bit quickly, however, the podcast may have to be repeated. What is said on each podcast, is written as a script on the webpage, so there is a reference if students need it. There is a wide range of topics, so a teacher could find something for almost any lesson.

History Podcast was quite interesting as well, along the the same lines as 60 Second Science, although the podcasts are a bit longer. To be quite honest, I couldn't download them, but I did read the scripts of some, and comments (and corrections) left be the listeners. I was impressed by the wide range of topics covered.

I used PodcastDirectory.com to search for other podcasts. I had no idea what to search for (they don't have any podcasts for testing coordination -- perhaps I should start one!), so I just searched for something that was family oriented. I found MommyCast which is run by two moms who give advice on parenting, i.e. vacationing, food and nutrition, time management, etc. As a mom of three, I can never get enough help and tips.

It goes without saying that I have never created a podcast. I do have iTunes on my computer at school, thanks to a tech-savvy colleague.

No comments:

Post a Comment