Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing #20

Google Docs . . . I was really excited to try this application. The idea of creating something and being able to collaborate with others at my school was really exciting. The very first thing that popped into my head was "SCHOOL CALENDAR"!!! I thought I could create something that everyone could contribute to, then Voila!, everyone would know what was going on all year.

Alas, that did not happen. I found a couple of calendar templates that I really liked, but they were monthly, and I want something that shows six weeks at a time. So then I decided to try and "edit" the existing calendar, and that worked to a point, except that when I tried to change the dates, it wouldn't let me. Whenever I entered a number in the date box and pushed tab, the program/computer/evil cyberspace demons would subtract 1 from it (ex: I put in 17, move to the next cell, and the number would automatically change to 16). Okay . . . I can deal with that . . . I'll just put one MORE than the number I want. This worked, but was just a pain in the backside.

So . . . I decided to export it to Excel and edit it there, where I'm more familiar with the commands and formatting. Nope. Didn't work.

Needless to say, this was a bit of a let-down. I'm pretty sure that it's me and not the program, but it's still frustrating. It did inspire me, however, to create something on Excel, and then
import it to Google Docs . Having one centralized calendar for our school would keep everyone updated and in-the-loop. I will succeed . . .

I would also like to create a menu planner for my family. That's in the works, but again, the formatting tools are unfamiliar to me and not as easy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment