Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thing #9



As I entered the Flickr website, I thought to myself, "What the heck am I going to search for?" As I'm no longer in the classroom, no ideas came immediately to mind. I decided to simply search for pictures of Germany, as it was one of the words that caught my eye on my tour of Flickr, and it's also a place I've been and have fond memories of. One of the first pictures that popped up was the one you see by David C. Foster. You can find it at The Dom Cathedral (Kölner Dom) in Cologne, Germany WWII, May 10th, 1945 .

It took me back a couple of years to when I taught 6th grade social studies (i.e. world cultures) and we did a unit on WWII and Nazi Germany. The pictures in this collection were quite fascinating. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what I would have done with them, but I'm quite sure I could have used them as story starters (some from the perspective of the pilot, others from the perspective of the photographer, and yet others from the perspective of someone who might have been on the bridge as it collapsed). Whatever I would have used them for, the pictures are worth way more than a thousand words in a history book. The possibilities are endless.

Flickr was quite eye-opening and a little overwhelming to me. The more I clicked on tags or subjects, the more they changed and expanded. I will definitely have to play with it more to get the hang of it.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to use the pictures as a story starter. I think the site is a little overwhelming, so narrowing in to one specific picture/assigment would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete