Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thing #12

When I first read over this "Thing", I was really excited to check out several of these tools. The more I explored, however, the less excited I became.

My first venture was
http://30boxes.com I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE calendars (being the concrete-sequential person that I am). I have been looking for some type of calendar (besides publisher) to use at school. I send out a calendar to the staff every Monday of what is going on that week at school: Sports events, band/orchestra/choir concerts, benchmarks/milestones, etc. I also send a calendar once every six weeks containing all the tests that will be given, their dates, and who they affect. I have done this the same way the last 4 years. It works, but I keep looking for something more efficient. I thought I might have found it when I saw 30 Boxes . However, when I entered the sight, I found that it didn't have very many formatting options. It's very plain, and doesn't give me the flexibility of changing the date range (or perhaps it does, and I just couldn't figure it out -- that is entirely possible, but then, shouldn't it be easy to figure out?). So . . . on to another tool.

The next tool I explored was Ta-da List . Again, it appealed to the organized side of me. I thought perhaps they had a new spin on the plain ole To-Do List. Not so much. You title the list, type in the items on it, and that's about it. As you finish an item, you click on the little box next to it and it marks it complete. Honestly, it's a lot less hassle to write it on a piece of paper and put a line through it. It's more trouble for me to sit down at my computer and type up a list.

I don't like being a Debbie-Downer, so let me end on a positive note: Even though 30 Boxes didn't appeal to me, it inspired me to search the web for free online calendar applications. I found a few that I intend to explore more, and see if they have any possibilities. Otherwise, I will stick to my old format for calendars, and my paper-and-pencil approach to To-Do lists! I will post a comment to this blog if I find anything. OR, if anyone who reads this has a fabulous site to share, let me know!

1 comment: